There are five questions in this assignment carrying 80 marks. Rest 20 marks are for viva-voce. You may use illustrations and diagrams to enhance the explanations. Please go through the guidelines regarding assignments given in the Program Guide for the format of presentation. Assumptions made if any, should be stated
Background and Project Specifications:
A University library maintains the records of issue of books, magazines and journals to its members. The members of the library are the students and the staff of the university. Every member has to renew his/her membership at the beginning of a semester. Members can be issued a maximum of 10 books, 2 magazines and 1 journal. The books are issued for a period of 15 days; magazines for a period of 7 days and journals for a period of 3 days. If a member does not return any of the items after due date, s/he is charged a fine of Rs10 per day. The library maintains the stock of these items using a computerized system. The members are issued renewal notice at the end of each semester. The list of books, magazines and journals which are overdue is prepared every week. In case an item is overdue for more than two weeks then the membership of that person is put on hold. A person whose membership is put on hold twice in a semester is debarred from the library for a period of 6 months. The library also keeps track of the items that are in high demand. An item is in high demand if it is issued once in a month. More copies of the books are ordered in case it is in high demand. The books, magazines and journals that are not at all issued for two continuous years are put in an archival hold. You may study the requirements of a library for more details. Perform the following tasks for the system given above:
- Which Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) will you propose for the specification given above?
- Justify you selection by evaluating suitability of at least two SDLCs.
- What would be major costs of the system?
- What may be the financial benefits of installing such a system?
- Perform a cost-benefit analysis for the proposed software and report its findings.
- List the major tasks and milestones of the Project and make a project schedule. You schedule must include both GANTT and PERT charts. Explain the two charts drawn by you.
- Study the system and create a software requirement specification. You must identify either the processes or objects while analyzing. During the analysis give consideration to possible input and output of the processes.
- After identifying the requirements, create Analysis Models. You may either use the classical approach and draw Entity relationship diagram and data flow diagrams (DFD’s) up to level 2-3; or you may take object oriented analysis approach and create class diagram, use case diagram, use cases etc.
- Design the system architecture and the database as per the needs of the system. You must perform normalization on tables up to 3 rd normal form. The table design must include Primary and Foreign keys and constrains.
- Create the system flow chart or detailed process design and state transition diagrams. Also design the user input screens and output report formats.
- Design various unit test cases for different testing techniques/strategies.