MCS-042 Data Communication and Computer Network
This assignment has thirteen questions. Answer all questions. The rest 20 marks are for viva voce. You may use illustrations and diagrams to enhance the explanations. Please go through the guidelines regarding assignments given in the Programme Guide for the format of presentation.
- Draw a figure showing congestion window Size as a function of transmission round (time) and briefly describe how does the slow start algorithm work? From the figure do the following tasks:
- Identify the interval of time when TCP slow start in operating.
- Identify the interval of time when TCP congestion avoidance is operating.
- What is the value of the threshold?
- Compare and contrast link state and distance vector routing algorithms.
- Discuss how a hierarchical organization of the internet has helped to scale to million of users?
- Why are different Inter AS and Intra AS protocols used in the Internet ?
- Compare & contrast IPV4 & IPV6 header fields. Do they have any field in common?
- What is the 32-bit binary equivalence of IP address 18.104.22.1681?
- What are some of the possible services that a link layer protocol can offer to the network layer? Which of these link-layer services have corresponding services in IP and TCP?
- Give an overview of how DNS works? What are the services provided by DNS? How is DNS different from an e-mail application?
- What is a handshake mechanism? With the help of an illustration describe how does 3-way handshake mechanism work?
- How does TCP determine the round trip time and time out interval? Discuss the algorithm.
- How do you define QoS? Why do you require it? How stringent the QoS requirements are for the following applications in terms of reliability, delay, jitter and bandwidth parameters? Draw a table showing the QoS requirements for each application and explain: Applications: e-mail, file transfer, web- access, remote login, audio on demand, video on demand, videoconferencing.
- How does the IEEE 802.11 address the problem of a noisy channel? Explain with the help of a diagram
- How does the Triple DES algorithm work?